Asbestos in your home
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is the name given to a group of fibrous minerals found naturally in many parts of the world. In the past, asbestos was added to a variety of products to strengthen them and to provide fire-proofing and noise reduction.
Properties built since the mid-1980s are unlikely to contain asbestos in the fabric of the building. Properties built after 1995 are extremely unlikely to contain asbestos anywhere in the building.
What's wrong with asbestos?
When asbestos materials age or become damaged they may release fibres into the air. The fibres, breathed in, could lead to asbestos-related diseases. People who have worked with asbestos for many years as part of their job are most likely to be affected. Most instances of asbestos in housing are of low risk and unlikely to harm your health.
What are your responsibilities?
If you think asbestos-containing materials may be in your home, don't panic! Asbestos in good condition will not release asbestos fibres. There is no danger unless the fibres are released and inhaled into the lungs. Check material regularly if you suspect it may contain asbestos.
Don't touch it, but look for signs of wear and tear, such as scratches, scuffs or water damage. If damage or deterioration is apparent, please notify us.