We ensure that all our homes are fitted with secure locks. There are many simple steps you can take to help prevent your home being broken into:
- Don't leave doors and windows open if you go out.
- Ask to see the identity card of callers. All our employees and contractors carry these cards as do workers from other companies, e.g. gas, water, electrical. Genuine callers will not mind if you ask to see their card. If in doubt don't let them in and contact the police.
- Do not give your personal information or bank details to strangers who contact you in person, on the phone or by email.
- If you have bought expensive new items such as a computer, do not leave the packaging in the street for burglars to see. Bag it for collection or take it to your local recycling centre.
- Destroy bank statements and card receipts etc. before throwing them away.
- Keep ladders out of sight and secured to something fixed if possible.
- We also strongly advise you to take out home contents insurance.
- Remember to cancel milk and newspapers.
- Make sure doors and windows are securely locked.
- Use time switches to turn lights on and off. This gives the impression someone is in.
- Unplug electrical appliances wherever you can.
- Leave an emergency number and a key with a neighbour or friend so they can go round now and then to check everything is OK.