The Wellbeing House
The Wellbeing House provides a retreat for those experiencing mental health distress. It's a place where people can receive support to help them stabilise themselves and prevent a crisis. The house itself is a three-bedroom property located in south Bath.
How does the service work?
The Wellbeing House supports people, during their stay and afterwards, to recognise and develop their own strategies to prevent and manage a crisis, all within a nurturing and supportive environment.
Who's providing it?
Curo and Virgin Care are working in partnership to provide this facility.
Who can use it?
To be eligible to stay for five days – Monday to Friday – free of charge, people must:
- Be aged 18 or over at the point of stay
- Be a resident of B&NES (or with a registered GP in B&NES)
- Have a home to return to after a five-day stay
- Be in emotional distress but not currently showing crisis behaviours that would impact on other people staying in the Wellbeing House
- Be able to positively benefit from a period of peace, calm and additional support
- Be free from the influence of alcohol or drugs (people will be referred to other appropriate services if they aren’t eligible for this service)
- Be able to stay in a house with shared kitchen and living room (there are ensuite bathrooms)
- Be capable of personal care and self-catering (these services are not provided)
The Wellbeing House will not have medical or nursing staff on site, therefore it will be unable to provide support to people experiencing an acute mental health crisis (who should be referred instead to the Mental Health Crisis Service where their needs can be safely and effectively met).
Are there facilities for those with physical disabilities?
Yes, there is an accessible flat.
What type of service is it?
It is not a clinical service, it is social and is aimed at achieving stabilisation and progression – promoting self-care and independence.
How is it accessed?
We encourage health, social care and housing professionals to refer people to the Wellbeing House. To access the service, contact Curo on 01225 366135 or Wellbeing.House@curo-group.co.uk. Referrals can be taken over the phone or by email.