Facebook Pixel Code


MyCuro Menu

Thinking of making a claim for a ‘disrepair’?



If a landlord doesn’t complete a repair they’re responsible for in a reasonable time, your home could be described as being in ‘disrepair’.

We’re increasingly contacted by Curo customers who’ve been approached by firms offering to win ‘disrepair’ compensation on a no-win, no-fee basis.

Our advice is: if you’re thinking of using a claims management company, make sure you know what you’re signing up to. Signing an agreement with an unscrupulous claims company could put you at serious financial risk, and we’ve heard from a number of customers that their experience with such firms wasn’t what they thought it would be.

  • Some claims companies will use underhand tactics to get your business – sometimes they’ll give the impression they’re from the local council, the Government or even Curo. Always ask to see ID – a genuine caller won’t be offended.
  • Even if they say ‘no-win, no-fee’ there could be hidden costs. You might find you can’t back out without incurring significant costs.
  • If a claims company decides they’re unlikely to ‘win’, they could drop your case. And that could leave you with a lot of work to do and costs to pay.
  • If your claim is successful, many claims management companies will take the majority of any compensation – money which should be yours.
  • Using a claims firm usually means it takes a lot longer to resolve a problem because of the legal processes involved. It also costs a lot of money in legal fees, which leaves less money for us to spend on residents’ homes.

If you’re not happy with the service you get from us as your landlord, please tell us directly instead. We have a formal complaints process and if you make a complaint, we’ll work with you to put things right as soon as we can. If we agree to pay you compensation through our own complaints process, you’ll get the full amount (a claims company can take up to 75% of any compensation). If you’re not happy with the outcome, you can take your case to the independent Housing Ombudsman. We’ll always explain your options at every stage.

If you want independent advice, the Citizens Advice Bureau is great place to start.

To make a complaint or to download our Giving us feedback leaflet which explains our complaints process, click here.

Book it, pay it, check it, report it, sort it 
Learn more about MyCuro