Now the barbecue summer's here, we bring you some simple tips to check before you start sizzling those sausages.
- Ensure the barbecue is strong, sturdy and in good working order.
- Place it on level ground to avoid it tipping over.
- Never have a barbecue on a balcony.
- Keep it well clear of any trees, shrubs, or flammable objects.
- Keep children and animals well away.
- Never pour on petrol or other accelerants.
- For charcoal barbecues, only use the minimum fuel necessary.
- For gas barbecues, ensure the tap is turned off before changing the cylinder.
- Never leave the barbecue unattended.
- Keep a bucket of water or sand close by.
- Ensure the barbecue is cool before attempting to move it.
- Never bring a barbecue indoors, even if you think it's burned out - it could give off carbon monoxide.
For more tips and some free recipes, check out Avon Fire & Rescue's BBQ safety guides.