This is a simple way of moving. If you have an Assured or Secure tenancy, have a clear rent account and do not owe us any money for other debts and aren't in breach of any other tenancy requirements, you can swap your home with another council or housing association tenant. You will need to have permission to do this from Curo and any other housing association involved.
We will usually give you permission to do this unless:
- You owe us money.
- We have started legal action against you.
- The homes would be significantly too big or too small for your family's needs or the needs of the family you are swapping with.
- You have not looked after your home and it is in poor condition.
- The homes involved are designed to meet a specific need and you do not meet these requirements, for example you want to swap with someone living in sheltered housing for older people and you are younger than the age limit.
- You have a Starter tenancy.
- If you are a Protected Assured tenant or a Secure tenant and you move to another landlord you will lose your protected rights such as the Right to Buy.
- The tenant taking on the new property will need to pay up to one month’s rent in advance of the exchange taking place. This is required even if the tenant moving in receives housing benefit.
- When you are ready to apply to Curo you will need to complete the application form in the Mutual Exchange Guide.
It's also important to know that residents with any type of Assured Shorthold Tenancy are unlikely to have the right to move through a mutual exchange. Please contact us to discuss your moving options.
How do I find someone to swap with?
We pay a subscription to HomeSwapper so you don't have to. You can log onto their website to advertise your home and look for people to swap with. Once you have found someone to swap with contact us and we'll advise you on what else you, and we, need to do.
Get your home up to scratch
Anything you can do to help make your home more attractive to other residents will speed up the time it takes to find a swap. We will need to inspect your property before we can give approval so it is really important to think about the following:
- Are any repairs required to your home? If so, please report this by calling 01225 366000.
- Have you broken something, or are things missing that were there when you moved in? If so, please replace them. If you’re not sure how to do this we may be able to help, but we will charge you for this service. These charges will need to have been paid before you swap.
- Have you made any changes to the property? And if so, did you get our permission? If no, please request this now by calling 01225 366000. As well as being a breach of your tenancy we will need to check that what you have done is safe.
Also remember that you will need to leave your property in good condition so think about the following….
- If there is any junk – including things stored in the loft, outhouses and garden – that you need to get rid of, do it now. We expect homes to be clean and clear at the point of exchange.
- If you can, brighten up your home with a lick of paint – it’s amazing what a difference it makes.
- If you have a garden, give it a tidy-up.