Facebook Pixel Code


We stand with Ukraine. For information about Homes for Ukraine click here.

MyCuro Menu

Ending a tenancy



If you’d like to end your tenancy with Curo you’ll need to give us either four weeks' notice or two months’ notice, depending on your tenancy agreement. If you’re unsure please contact us.

The notice period will start from the time that we receive the signed form from you so it’s really important that you return this to us as soon as you can.

If you prefer we can send you the form – just call and ask us.

When we receive your form we’ll be in touch to arrange to visit you and explain the termination of tenancy process. You’ll be required to clear your rent account and leave the property clean and empty of all possessions.

If you move into another property or into residential care before the end of the tenancy please be aware that if you claim Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, this will end as soon as you move. Therefore you may be liable to pay full rent for the notice period. If you're not sure please contact us. If you have a credit on your account at the end of the tenancy please give us a call and ask us to refund this to you.

If you decide during the notice period that you need longer (maybe your next home is not ready for example) you can contact us and ask us to extend the notice period. It may be possible to do this but you'll need to pay for this additional time.

Ending a tenancy on behalf of someone

If the tenant no longer has the capacity to terminate the tenancy, we can accept notice from somebody with the legal power to do so, for example someone with ‘power of attorney’.

Please contact us as soon as possible so we can confirm the ending of the tenancy and notice period.

If the person has moved into a nursing home and you don’t have power of attorney please call us and provide as many details as you can. Include contact details for any relevant agencies, for example social workers. We will need to confirm with the nursing home, social worker and GP that the person is not going to return home.

Please note that rent will be due until the tenancy has legally ended.

Ending a tenancy after a bereavement

We realise that this is a difficult time and we'll work with you to ensure that the end of tenancy is dealt with sensitively.

We can only accept notice from the Executor of the Estate or an authorised person with a grant of representation – sometimes known as ‘grant of probate’, ‘letters of administration’ or ‘letters of administration with a will’.

If none of these apply once we are notified of the deceased we will serve a notice on the public trustee that will formally end the tenancy, this is a four week notice.

For more information download our leaflet:

Financial matters

Rent payments: Rent will be charged during the notice period until the day that the tenancy legally ends and the keys are returned to us.

Housing Benefit: These payments come from the local authority. Due to government regulations payments will stop the Monday after the person passes away. This means that even if the person did not have rent to pay while living in their home, Housing Benefit will not cover the termination notice period. The estate will have to pay the rent during this time.

We have a legal claim to money or assets left by the deceased resident and the outstanding balance will be due from the estate – for more information on how to pay please contact us on 01225 366000.

What happens if there is no money left in the estate?

Paying rent owed by the deceased’s estate is a high priority and the rent must be paid directly before utility bills, catalogues, credit cards etc. If the estate does not have the money to pay outstanding rent please contact us to discuss alternative arrangements.

In this situation you will need to provide the following documents:

  • A letter from the next of kin or executor confirming that the tenant left no money along with some proof, for an example a copy of a bank statement.
  • A copy of the will; if there is no will we will require written confirmation from the next of kin or executor.

Anything else?

If you have any other questions or want to discuss anything else about ending a tenancy please call us - we're always really happy to try and help and provide as much information as possible.

Book it, pay it, check it, report it, sort it 
Learn more about MyCuro