Facebook Pixel Code



Sheltered or supported housing tenants - FAQs about 2016/17 rent review



Why hasn't my entire weekly charge gone down by 1% as the government has stated?

On the 27th January 2016, the Government announced that Sheltered and Supported accommodation were excluded from the 1% rent cut for 2016-17. The current proposal means that this year rents should increase by Consumer Price index at September 2015 (-0.1%) plus 1% from April 2016.

How does Curo work out how much to adjust my rent?

Like all housing associations across England, we are required to set and increase rents in line with government policy.

The changes are made in accordance with the provisions of your tenancy agreement.

What are other housing associations doing?

All housing associations need to comply with the government’s rent setting formula. This means that most housing associations and local authorities across the UK will be putting down their rent by the full amount in line with the government guidelines – that is 1%.

Will I get help from Housing Benefit

If you receive Housing Benefit and it currently covers your rent in full, then it should change automatically to cover the new charge. If Housing Benefit only covers some of your rent, then the full change may not be covered. If you receive Housing Benefit we will automatically tell your local authority about your rent decrease. They will then work out how much of the change is covered by Housing Benefit and will contact you to let you know. The local authority may not change your entitlement by the 4th April therefore your contribution may change until this has been updated by your housing benefit provider. They will write to you directly when this has been done.

Will I get help from Universal Credit

If you receive Universal Credit and it currently covers your rent, you need to contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0345 600 0723 to ensure your payments are updated. We do not provide information on your charges automatically.

Will you adjust my direct debit?

We will adjust your direct debit and send you a letter confirming your new payments shortly after you have received this notification. If you receive some housing benefit or universal credit it is likely that your entitlement will not be updated by the DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) or your local authority until after 4th April. Therefore your direct debit will be based on your current claim. We will adjust this again when we have received notification from you, the DWP or local authority of any change to your claim. If this is going to be difficult for you please contact our Customer Accounts Team on 01225 366000.

Where can I get help with paying my rent?

We can offer a range of help and financial advice to all our residents, especially those struggling during the current economic climate. If you are facing debt or rent arrears, please do not be tempted to approach a loan shark or take a pay-day loan.

Contact us instead as soon as possible – the earlier you speak to us, the more we can help.

Our Customer Accounts Team is experienced in helping our residents manage their rent accounts and trained to provide debt and welfare benefit advice. We also work with the Citizens Advice Bureau and SWAN (South Wansdyke Advice Network) and can refer residents directly.

For more information, please get in touch with us or click here for details of these and more organisations that may be able to offer help.

Stay up-to-date with our newsletter