Tackling hate crime
Hate crime is any offence committed against person or property which is motivated by the offender's hatred of people because they are seen as being different.
It could be because of:
- Race, ethnicity or nationality
- Religion or belief
- Gender or transgender
- Disability, health or mental health
This could include incidents of:
- Verbal abuse
- Harassment or threats
- Physical assault of any kind
- Damage to home or property
- Graffiti and vandalism
- Any other form of intimidation not listed above
We will support you.
We believe any hate crime is totally unacceptable. We will deal robustly with any Curo tenant (or anyone who lives in a Curo home) who carry out hate crimes.
It is really important that you report hate crime. Lots of people do not. When you report it you are making a big difference. Not only does it help you get support, you are also helping us to make your community safer.
When you contact us:
- We will put you at the centre of what we do. Our first concern is your safety and well-being.
- We will aim to see you within 24 hours of you contacting us, at a location of your choice. If you need it we can arrange for an interpreter.
- An officer will be assigned to work with you.
- What you tell us will remain confidential, unless you give us permission to talk to anyone else.
We work closely with other agencies such as the police, the local authority and specialist support organisations to keep you safe and support you. If you agree to it we will contact them for you. We will keep you informed about this, and they may contact you themselves.
- We will deal with any graffiti or vandalism to your home as a priority.
- We will agree a plan with you about how we will help you.
This could include:
- Supporting you to stay in your home safely.
- Making your home more secure.
- Help and support with moving house.
- Advice if you need emergency housing.
- Getting you specialist support.
- Looking at legal interventions, such as injunctions, to protect you.
- Taking action against the people who are harassing you. We will usually work with other people and organisations to do this.
Stock photo posed by model.