Former forces serviceman 'John' was enjoying an active life when a life-changing illness turned his life upside down. Read how a Curo service that provides supported accommodation for people in hospital has helped John regain his independence. John was in the armed forces for over 20 years; he then worked for a local authority and later became an audit and securi…
Support leaving hospital
Ready to leave hospital but can’t go home? We have tailored support and accommodation available. Curo’s Step-down from hospital accommodation is designed to offer a home from home for patients in Bath and North East Somerset who are ready to leave the hospital, but need to stay somewhere with a little more support.
Curo has six apartments for patients throughout Bath and North East Somerset all furnished to a high standard.
The apartments are offered free to patients for up to 12 weeks with fully funded care and support packages to meet each person’s needs.
Transport: Curo staff can also come and collect people from hospital, transport them to the apartments and help them to settle in.
Extra Care Care packages are provided out of our local Extra Care Schemes by experienced and qualified staff.
Support from our Independent Living Service is also offered and tailor-made to the individual. All FREE as part of the package.
- Fully furnished apartment ready to move in to.
- Just like home - partners can stay and families and friends can visit any time.
- No charge at all to the patient. Includes a tailored care and support package, privacy and a quiet environment to aid rest and recovery.
- Comes with a fully funded personalised care and support package by reliable and experienced services.
- 24-hour personal response service close by at the push of a button.
- Fully adapted bathroom, equipped kitchen and wide-screen TV in each apartment.
- Practical and emotional support available through well-established services and trained, professional staff.
- We can help with a move to alternative accommodation if unable to return home.
Step-down is for
- People who are recovering in hospital but can’t go back home.
- Patients with physical or emotional conditions that mean they need time to adjust to live independently again - with the level of care and support that they individually require.
- Patients who need to see how they get on with a care and support package in a place just like home.
- Patients who are recovering from a fracture or an operation.
- Patients can be of any age, gender and ability to access this accommodation as long as there is a space and they meet the criteria above.
It’s not suitable for people who need to stay more than three months.
How to book
Accommodation can be booked by any hospital clinician or other health professional involved in the discharging process.
This service is available thanks to Health and Social Care reablement funding and is provided through Curo’s Independent Living Service, in partnership with Sirona.
Impact of Step-down on public budgets
It's estimated that an excess hospital bed-day costs £303 per day. In contrast, Curo’s Step-down facility costs £60 per day to deliver. In 2015/16 Curo provided 1,721 days of this service across its six units. This equates to a saving to Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust of over £520,000 during 2015/16. Taking into account the cost of operating Step-down the total saving to the public purse was around £390,000 last year.
What happens when a patient is ready to leave hospital, but cannot return home because the right support isn’t there? That’s the situation 'James' faced when he was ready to leave hospital following a stroke.