Facebook Pixel Code


MyCuro Menu

Frequently asked questions about Curo market rent homes



How do I secure a property?

Securing a property with Curo is simple. After viewing with one of our friendly team, contact us to register your interest, this can be done via phone or email. We will ask you to complete an application form which you will need to return alongside a copy of your ID and proof of address. Once we have reviewed your application and it passes the necessary criteria an offer will be made to you. Once this is accepted we will reserve the report for you whilst we undertake the necessary references. Your tenancy will be subject to satisfactory referencing and receipt of cleared funds and signed tenancy agreement.

What is my initial fixed term?

We know how important security of tenure is to you so we offer an initial 12 month fixed term to give you ample opportunity to settle into your new home.

Can I have a break clause?

Currently Curo do not offer break clauses.

How quickly can I move?

If a property is vacant we can move you in as quickly as a few days provided that all referencing, cleared funds are received and paperwork completed. If a property is occupied the move date may be less flexible.

What references do you need?

At Curo we will request a financial and landlord reference and also carry out an Experian check on each tenant and guarantor, if applicable.

Can I have a guarantor?

Yes as long as they earn at least 37 times the monthly rent and have a UK-based income.

How much is my deposit?

Your deposit is capped at five weeks' rent. If the rent were to exceed £50,000 within a calendar year, the deposit would be six weeks' rent. The deposit, once paid to Curo, will be registered with the Deposit Protection Scheme.

Am I allowed a pet?

Pets will be considered for any property that has access to a shared or private garden to the property.

I'm a student - can I rent with Curo?

We welcome students; we just ask that the rent is paid in advance for the term of the tenancy i.e 12 months rent in advance, or you are able to provide a UK-based guarantor who can satisfy a salary of 37 times the monthly rent.

What do I do if I want to end my tenancy early?

Early termination of a tenancy is at the landlord’s discretion and would only be considered in exceptional circumstances. You would need to speak to your lettings negotiator in this situation who would be able to advise you on a case by case basis.

How would I report a repair?

There are several ways that you can report a repair; you can call our friend customer contact team to book one in over the phone, you can chat to them via the online chat function on our website or you can book one through the MyCuro portal here.

Where can I get advice about renting?

For independent advice visit https://www.shelter.org.uk/

Book it, pay it, check it - log in to your account:

We use cookies on this website to provide you with a better online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are OK with your web browser receiving our website's cookies. Our privacy policy explains how we use cookies.