Benefits & entitlements

Navigate to :
Universal Credit_Photo 1

The government is making big changes to working-age benefits. Changes such as the 'Bedroom Tax' - reducing Housing Benefit for working-age tenants with ‘extra’ bedrooms, and Universal Credit – where all payments, including those to cover your rent, are made monthly directly to you.

Some of these changes might make it more difficult for you to pay your rent. Remember - your rent is your responsibility, but Curo is here to help if you are having money worries. We can also help you with mutual exchanges, transfers, or applications for Discretionary Housing Payments. Contact us and we'll do all we can to help.

What do you need to know?

We've provided some summaries of the recent and forthcoming changes. There is more detailed information on all these – follow the links below or use the menu:

Universal Credit

Are you on one of the benefits that Universal Credit is replacing? Or are you someone who can claim Universal Credit? 

Personal Independence Payments

Do you or your partner suffer from any disabilities or illnesses?

The Bedroom Tax (Under-occupation)

Does the government think you have too many bedrooms? 

Non-dependant deductions

Does someone age 18 or over live with you? 

Discretionary Housing Payments

Are you on Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and struggling to pay your rent? Or perhaps you need to move due to the Welfare Reform changes but don’t have the money for a deposit for privately rented housing, or for removal costs? Find out more about...

Council Tax Support

Finding it difficult to pay your council tax bill? 

The Benefit Cap

Are you a large family or live in a property with a high rent?

The government introduced rules in 2013 which limit the overall amount of welfare benefits a ‘working age’ household can receive. It does not affect you if you and your partner are Pension Credit age.
This mainly affects large families (4 or more children – 3 or more in higher rented areas). When the Cap is reduced further (some time from the Autumn 2016 onwards), more families will be affected.

If you (or you and your partner) are affected it is worth checking to see if you can claim one of the benefits that will exclude you from the Cap.

Go to the ‘Benefit Cap’ page to find out more, and discover if there is anything else you can do if you are affected by the Cap.

Working Tax Credit

If you already get Working Tax Credit, you may find that your award reduces from April 2016. 

Ways to pay

arrow button


Useful links





 © Housing Systems 2016. Information correct at April 2016.